Thursday, June 18, 2020

Whistle for Willie - a Story of Perseverance

Do you know what perseverance means? It means trying really hard at something, even though it is really hard. Our character trait for this month is perseverance.

I know that  you have been persevering at so many things lately! Some of you have you have worked so hard to learn to ride a two wheel bike -- and now you can! Some of you have worked really hard at reading, and now you can read harder words!

I have been working really hard at skipping. I know how to skip, and a few years ago I learned a kind of skipping called "double unders" (that means the the skipping rope goes around 2 times for each jump) But now I am persevering at doing "triple unders"! The skipping rope has to go under my feet 3 times for every jump! I can't do it YET, but I am hoping that by the end of the summer, if I practice almost every day, I will be able to do triple unders.

This is a story about Peter, who we met in A Snowy Day. He is trying to learn how to whistle. The story is called Whistle for Willie. It is by one of my favourite authors, Ezra Jack Keats.


Is there something that you want to learn? Can you persevere, and practice trying it a lot until you can do it? Sometimes we need to take small steps toward it. When I wanted to learn double under skipping, I had to practice a lot of regular skipping first, so I could skip for a long time without tripping. Then I tried to do one double under skip - and I tripped every time for weeks and weeks. And then finally! I did one! And then a few days later, I could do two!I kept adding a few more, until, almost a year later, I could do 50!

Don't get frustrated if you can't do something on the first try. You might need to practice a lot! Be patient and persevere.





No comments: