Monday, June 1, 2020

Make a Board Game!

Have you ever tried to make your own board game? I know that Genny has!
This is Genny's board game!


We have played Candyland, Chutes and Ladders, and Snakes and Ladders in our classroom. Candyland doesn't involve any counting - it is a good introduction to board games at the beginning of jk,  but we are all ready for a game that involves counting!
Snakes and Ladders and Chutes and Ladders.


A super-cool game would be snakes and ladders combined with Candyland. Traveling through an imaginary world, but playing the game with dice. LETS MAKE ONE!

Think about it before you start.

1. What kind of world do you want your game to be set in? Superheros? LOL Dolls? Fairyland? Unicorn Land? A Forest or Jungle? Outer Space or in a Star Wars world? Choose something that you like best!
I am choosing The Three Little Pigs theme for my gameboard!


2. Choose your playing pieces. Most board games are for 2-4 players. You might want to make enough so your whole family can play.
I am making 3. The Three Little Pigs. I taped some little paper pigs on to little bamboo pieces. You might choose some small stones, or some cereal box cardboard.  Make sure that the stones are small enough to fit in the squares on the path.

3. Draw your "path", or use the one that I sent you. You can have a shortcut if you want. If you land on # 10 in my game, it is the shortcut to #16- it gets you closer the brick house. You can have a "go back" square in your game.  In my game, if you land on #8  (THE WOLF SCARES YOU) you have to run away and go back to the #3. Parents -- if your child is able to add two dice easily, you might consider making your own path so your playing board can go to at least 40 or even 100! You can use a large piece of paper or bristol board.


4. What is at the END of the path? It should be something exciting. My Pigs are racing to get to the brick house!  Yours might go to a castle or a special planet or space station.

5. Write numbers on your path. One number for each square.  If you use the one that I gave you , the numbers should go from 1-18. If you don't know the numbers up to 18, have your parents help or look at YOUR NUMBER LINE.


6. You need a dice or a dice app! If you use the printable gameboard that I sent, you will use one dice. If you made a really long path, you might want to use 2 dice and add them together.

7. Play your game! you will need a partner to play :) I am giving my gameboard to my Grandson who turns 4 in June! Do you think he will like it?

*** you might want to start with a simple game. Once you have made one, then you can make a longer, more complicated game afterwards.

No comments: