Monday, May 4, 2020

Subitizing with Dot Cards

What is subitizing? (pronounced "soobitizing")

Subitizing is the ability to quickly identify the numbers of items in a small set without counting. We do it in instances like when we roll a dice and instantly know that we have rolled a 5.

 We didn't count the pips (marks) on the die, we just know that arrangement is 5. 

Subitizing is a developmental prerequisite to counting. 
The easiest way to teach it is to flash dot cards and have the children quickly call out the amounts that they see. In the classroom i use paper plates with dots stamped on them with bingo dabbers.  I start by flashing a card slowly.When we do it in the classroom, by this time of year, I can flash it for less than 1/4  second. but we have build up to that. I let the child(ren) guess the number and when they have all finished guessing, I hold it up, and keep it held up. After I flash the card, I ask the children what they saw, and then how they saw it. Looking at the dot card below they might say "I saw 5. I saw a row of 4 on the bottom and one more at the top".  or "I saw 5. I saw a dot on top and then 4 at the bottom"  or "I saw 2 black dots and two black dots and one grey dot. Two plus two is four and one more makes 5". We try to explain what we see in our head after the initial "flash".
We also often discuss the different ways of seeing it while I am holding it up. This helps everyone to understand that there isn't just one way of seeing things. Talking about how we see the number is (initially) even more important than getting the number correct.



I have sent you a pdf with these smaller dot cards. You could print them onto cardstock and then cut them out, or print them onto paper  and glue the paper onto cardboard (cereal box or cracker box!) and then cut them out. Having a sturdy card really helps with the flipping, and also keeps the children from seeing through the paper!


Or, if you have a bingo dabber and some paper plates, make dot plates! The cards that I have shared have a solid black and a grey. Do the solids in one colour and the grey dot in a different colour. Circle stickers will work well also!


Practice with the dots cards up to five first, then add six, and when your child is ready, add 7 etc.  

No comments: