Wednesday, May 13, 2020

Beginning to Retell familiar routines

In order to retell a story, a child needs to be able to think sequentially. They must be able to think backward to recall the events in the story, then think forward  to put the events in sequential order. Before we do this we have to practice pretelling. Pretelling is thinking about a familiar routine or activity and then identifying the steps involved and finally, retelling them.

To practice telling something in sequence, ask your child to tell you how to do a routine that they are familiar with. For example, ask them how to wash their hands. Encourage them to go into as much detail as they can. 
For example:
First, you need to go to the sink.
Next you have to turn on the water and get your hands a bit wet.


then you rub or squirt some soap on your hands.


Then rub your hands together while you say the alphabet.


Then, rinse your hands, and turn off the water.


Finally, dry your hands. 


Using the "order words" (first, next, then, finally) help to give mental prompts to help them recall the steps. 

Practice telling many different routines around your home. How to zip up your coat, how to turn on the ipad or tv, or how to brush your teeth would be great because your children can do the activities as they tell you the steps. 

In the classroom when I begin to teach retelling, I have the students tell me how to brush my teeth.  I have a bin that is the "sink" and a box full of supplies. When they tell me to put toothpaste on my brush, I take out a hair brush and put toothpaste on it! When they tell me to spit out the toothpaste, I pretend that I am going to spit it at them! They have to tell me to use a toothbrush, and to spit into the sink. They think that it is hilarious. 

There is a funny YouTube example HERE, of a dad who asks his children to write down the steps to make a peanut butter sandwich. He then attempts to follow the instructions exactly as written.

Ask your child to direct you to do a simple routine. It could be as easy as "how to walk from the kitchen to the bathroom". Do exactly as they say. Keep practicing different routines!

(Today's word family, ag,  is in another post, remember to scroll down in the blog!)



No comments: