Thursday, April 16, 2020

Thinking about Our Roles in Our Families

Today we are going to learn about our ROLES in our families. 

What is a family? We usually say that family is a group of people who are related to each other. Your immediate family is the family who you live with. Your extended family is your family who live somewhere else! Sometimes your family includes people who you aren't related to. Family is who you love!

Listen to Sherry read Todd Parr's The Family Book:
(in this YouTube book, Sherry reads the book, and then goes back to the beginning and turns the pages silently, so you can read the book). 


 Are all families the same? What makes some families different from others?

Here is a picture of my family. This is the family that is living with me right now in my home. There is me (Ms. Brown), Mr. B and our dog Tilly.  


 (photograph by Will O'Hare Photography #The FrontStepsProject)


My daughter lives with her 2 children (my grandchildren) in another city. 
Mr. B's son lives in a different city.

My mom lives by herself in a different city!

My brother lives with his family in a different city. 

So, all at the same time, I am a partner (wife), a mom, a stepmom,  a grandma, a daughter and a sister. These are my roles in my family!

What are your roles in your family? Can you draw and label a picture of your family? I would love to see it! You could draw your family that lives with you at home, or you can add other members of your family who don't live with you. Your pets are part of your family - you can draw them if you want to! Your labels should say the roles of people in your family -- Me , Mom, Dad, (Sister, Brother if you have them) 

 A fun family activity is to trace each family members hand (all the right hand or all the left hand) on different coloured paper. You could use constructions paper if you have it, or just use white paper and then colour it with crayons. Then cut them out and layer it with the biggest hand on the bottom. This is a good ordering by size activity! Remember to put your family name on it, and the date. Maybe each family member could colour and cut their own hand shape. It's your art, so it is your choice!


No comments: